Thursday 14 August 2014

Take notice .....

Good evening folks.
After a manic few weeks I can sit back slightly and do some "me time" crafting. For quite a while now I have felt as if I was on a treadmill trying but not quite succeeding to catch up.  I've  had to take a step back and reflect a little, make some choices etc etc. Now I have managed to get up to date with some commitments and I've trimmed some of the pressure off I have been able to turn my attention to some things I've had in the back of my mind for a while, like this

 A fun and slightly quirky notice board for my studio.  I just could not resist the mustache push pins so I just had to make this so I could use them.  I will share a bit of the how I made it pictures and process for the frame and board just now.
 I used Kiki and Franswar (My stamps from The Artistic Stamper) and they have been very roughly coloured in using Distress Markers (They look better in reality I promise, the camera is flattening some of the colours out) They've been cut out and covered with a layer of Triple Thick Glaze to protect and toughen them up. The little box is a spare from a configurations box that I didn't need  so I turned it into a holder for the spare pins. The box, characters and tape measure were glued in place with a glue gun.
 Aren't these pins brilliant!?
I added my Fantasy Border two stamp around the outer edges. You don't see much detail because of the texture of the canvas but enough to add interest I think.

If you aren't too bothered about the how, then you don't need to hang around LOL, but if you are....
I started with two pieces of polystyrene....
 and an A3 canvas......
 The polystyrene was cut to fit the aperture at the back of the canvas, wrapped in fabric
 and taped down.
 So it sits inside like this.
 I remove the fabric panel and gave the outer edges of the canvas a coat of DecoArt Faux Finishing Medium and allowed to dry.
 (This helps with the next step, which is......) adding Texture Crackle.......
 Apply a medium thick layer with a palette knife and allow to dry and crack.

No pics for the next steps but you'll get the idea.
I used Prima Colour Bloom Sprays in Precious Metal, Worn Leather and Pressed Petal to add  a subtle colour.
When dry, cover with a coat of DecoArt Faux Finishing Medium to seal and allow to dry.
Glue the centre panel to the canvas with a glue gun and glue the pin box in place.

Job done.
I enjoyed making this pinboard and look forward to using it.
Hope you all have a good evening folks and I'll be back soon.


3 comments:

J said...

Neil so pleased to see you, I love those moustaches too and a great way to use them.
I just wish I lived near enough to join one of your workshops.
Have a great weekend
Jan

Robin said...

I love the way you put this together--so easy and with great results! Love the textured frame; it looks exactly like tree bark. Using the polystyrene was an inspired example of recycling, too.Now I have a wonderful idea for a Halloween scene. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

REALLY cool looking post! I like the whimsy of the mustaches.