Tuesday 18 March 2014

Altered Tissue Box

Good morning friends.
I'm knee deep in re decorating at the moment, at the kind of regretting it but too late to change my mind stage..... Ho hum, it'll get there eventually.
I needed a break so thought I'd pop on to say hi and share this project with you. And, be warned, there photos a plenty as I've done some through the stages in case anyone wanted to give it a go......


To begin, I took the wooden tissue box holder and added some torn strips of paper, just gluing them along one edge. The next step is to add various pieces of chipboard to add more dimension. When I was happy with the placement I added a few fake rivets and gave everything a covering of gesso.
To add further dimension I die cut a couple of hinges and the On the edge Iron Gate and, using the "negative" as a mask, I added texture paste details

Once that was dry I began to add a selection of Decoart Americana acrylic paints mixing them up to create a very garish covering and set aside to dry.

When it was dry I added some vaseline in various areas. I chose areas that I liked the look of.

I then took paint in a grey colour and covered the whole box with paint and allowed it to dry. Once dry I began to rub back with a damp cloth. The vaseline acts as a resist and stops the top layer of paint from adhering to the bottom layer so you can rub it away to reveal the colours underneath.

To add more details I created some  packing tape transfers using Time Travelers cog stamps and added them to the box.


I added The Chemist to a chipboard circle and added crackle to the surface. When dry it was added to the box.

Finishing details..... I covered the box with washes of Traditions paint to add more "grunge" to the surface. I added the die cut hinges which I had coloured with metallic gilding waxes and added some more wax to the box to highlight details too.
 I added a little bit of stamping to tie everything together too.




Hope you like it. Have yourselves a fun and creative afternoon......

4 comments:

Beryl said...

I love this. It's great to see a tissue box decorated in a way that would make a lovely gift for a male friend - they are usually a tad 'pretty' for that. Love all those layers, colours and dimension.
Beryl.xx

Elizabeth said...

Hi Neil, now that's the kind of tissue box I'd love to have on my coffee table. The work you did to alter it is stunning. Elizabeth xx

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Interesting and so awesome ( :

Shoshi said...

What a great tutorial, Neil. I love the subtle colours, and the torn strips of paper, and using the Vaseline as a resist. Very subtle end result.

Shoshi